Monday, February 23, 2009

'no nonsense' style of living















So this was my home for the weekend. We packed up the doggies and headed for a cabin in the mountains for a few days to soothe the soul. It was my first time staying in the mountains. Growing up my family vacations consisted of camping at the beach or various houses in VA Beach or the outer banks hence the horrendous tan I'd get (and still get). I can't begin to explain the solitude and solace this place emits. We arrived Friday just in time to catch the sunset over the mountain (which we had a full view from inside and out of the cabin). Now, about the only thing I can do without is the absurd cold weather but I can't complain with awaking to snow outside your window. Or I simply need to learn to wear socks ;) those that know me well know that I'm 'anti-socks'. Maybe it's the islander in me but I find no need for them. I must say the biggest thing I enjoy about our little cabin in the mountains is the 'no nonsense' style of living. You bring the essentials (food, clothing, dogs, and most importantly bottles of wine) . You cook all your meals, hike for a bit, hot tub for a bit more, star gaze at the most beautiful constellations in the black canvas that is the sky and that's it! You have meaningful conversations with your best friend, hang out on the couch in front of the fireplace with your furry best friends, and...breathe. It's that simple. And never have I enjoyed simplicity as much as I did in the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment